Compare merchant account prices and save 40% on card processing.
Compare Merchant Account Providers
Card Machines for all business types
Save up to 40% by comparing providers
It will take a minute only and you can save upto 40%
Do you need to take payments in store, on the go, over the phone or even online?
With a merchant account you can do this. Our merchant account providers provide a wide range of countertop, mobile and portable card readers along with online payment solutions to get your small business taking card payments quickly and securely.
For any business applying for a merchant account there are several options that we would advise. Firstly, and the route many start-up companies use is to apply for a merchant account via a card payment services provider. The other popular option is applying for a merchant account through your bank. However, expect the fees charged by banks to be significantly higher than independent payment providers or ISO’s. Most merchant services providers do not advertise their fees. It is important that you shop around and compare several providers to find the best deal for your business.
Having a merchant account enables a business to accept payments securely both in person or online. The term merchant services covers a broad range of service options:
Businesses can now take payments on iPhones, Android’s, Tablets and other popular mobile devices. Customers have to tap their credit card on to a mobile card payment device such as iZettle or Sumup card reader to make a contactless payment. For purchases over £30 they would have to enter a pin.
POS is commonly known as the check-out point in retail stores. Point of sale includes all the software and hardware that is required to accept payments through credit card terminals or cash registers. Most of these have touch screens which allow the cashier to get accurate product and price information to complete a transaction efficiently.
There are many merchant services providers in the payment processing industry in the UK. Each of them provide a variety of services with their own features and fee structures. Below are some of the key players in the payment processing industry:
2. Izettle through their card reader allow small businesses to take payments and grow. Its an ideal platform for entrepreneurs and startups who need to accept card payments.
3. First Data is one of the leading card payment providers in the UK. They cater for both small and large businesses that need card payment solutions.
4. Another leader in the payment processing industry. Card Cutters provide both online and in-store card payment solutions to businesses.
5. Stripe allow business to take payment online through their websites. They offer cost efficient online payment solution for merchants in the UK who need to accept payments online.
6. Part of the Worldpay Group – StreamlineUK offers portable, countertop and mobile card machines.
7.Paypal offers online merchant services to businesses. They also have entered the mobile payment market through their paypal here contactless chip & pin card reader.
9. Cardsave is part of the Worldpay group and offer affordable card machines to UK customers.
10. Global Payments is one of the biggest worldwide players in the payment market. They offer many solutions including providing merchant services to businesses of all sizes.
11. Elavon merchant services cater for small businesses in the UK . They have solutions that allow companies to accept all credit card payment.
12. Llyods Bank Cardnet have card payment solutions that are scale-able to your needs. You don’t need a personal bank account with Llyods to sign up for a merchant account with them.
13. Sagepay process millions of card transactions each month. Founded in 2001 Sagepay were one of the first payment providers to introduce a simple flat rate monthly fee. They now cater to business of all sizes by providing flexible card payment solutions.
If you are rejected for a merchant account with your bank it is not the end of the world. Shop around and talk to different merchant account providers.
Credit Card Machine/PDQ Machine – Getting set up with a portable, countertop or wireless credit card machine is the number one option of businesses of all sizes who want to accept payments. With the total number of card payments eclipsing cash payment in recent years it is a no brainer if businesses who wish to maximise their profit. There are many companies out there such as Worldpay, Sagepay and Barclaycard who can help you get started.
Mobile Card Reader – In recent years we have seen the rise of the mobile card reader device. Companies such as Izettle, Sumup and Square have enabled small businesses to use their mobile phone to take card payments at an affordable rate.
Online Payment Gateway – Small businesses can accept payments online on their website via a payment terminal / virtual terminal. Getting the right online payment gateway will enable your business to accept payments from all the major credit cards providers as well as providing features such as fraud protection and real time transaction tracking.